Assessment Invigilation and Commercial Endorsements

We are regularly asked by students about for information about assessment invigilation and Commercial Endorsements, so we put together a question and answer page to help you demystify the requirements. To ensure that our information remains current and completely up to date, we communicate regularly with the RYA and are compliant with their requirements. We cannot guarantee that other online providers do the same, so please do check directly with the RYA if you are unsure.

What is a Commercial Endorsement, do I need one and how do it arrange it?

A commercial endorsement will be required if you intend to work onboard British flagged vessels which are subject to the MCA's codes of practice for small commercial vessels. A number of additional training courses and medical fitness certificates are required to be eligible for a commercial endorsement. For full information to check which certificates may be commercially endorsed, details concerning additional courses to be completed and fitness certificates, Please use the following link to the RYA website where the information appears in full:

What assessment invigilation and who can conduct it?

In some cases, it is necessary to arrange for an RYA Instructor to be present throughout the assessment to verify that you haven't received any outside assistance. This may be an RYA Instructor of any level. However, to ensure legitimacy we do take care to verify their credentials and will require sight of their qualification for our records.

When is invigilation required, do I really need it?

In most cases, invigilation of the final theory assessment is not necessary and is completely optional. We have summarised this for you below:

Invigilation is not required:

If you are going to be using the qualification for leisure purposes (flotilla, charter,own boat cruising etc).
  • If you wish to qualify as a RYA Cruising Instructor or an RYA Yachtmaster Instructor.
  • For Skippering vessels below 200GT
  • If you are wishing to add a Commercial Endorsement to a RYA Yachtmaster Coastal or an RYA Yachtmaste Offshore Certificate of Competence.
  • If you wish to qualify as either a RYA Cruising Instructor or and RYA Yachtmaster Instructor
  • You intend to use your Yachtmaster Qualificatins on Non-British flagged vessels. SUch as an Australian or New Zealand vessel.

Invigilation will be required only if you intend to work on British flagged vessels.

  • If you wish to enter MCA large yacht qualifications such as Officer of the Watch or Master 3000 all of your theory assessments must be invigilated.
  • If you intend to Skipper vessels of over 200GT If you intend to use your RYA Day Skipper Certificate or Competence for commercial purposes such as sea angling or commercial dive-boat operations within the UK you will require a professional endorsement to a Day Skipper Certificate of Competence.This will enable you to skipper a small commercial vessel.
  • If your Day Skipper shorebased exam is invigilated by an RYA Instructor you will be able to operate up to 12 mile limit from the vessel's home port. If your theory exam has not been invigilated, operation will be authorised for a 3 mile limit from the vessel's home port.
  • If you will be taking the Ocean Yachtmaster oral examination, the invigilation of the shorebased assessment is optional. However, if you choose not to have your assessment invigilated, the Examiner may ask you to complete a further theory paper during your oral examination.

How can invigilation be arranged?

  • We can assist you with this!
  • Peole who have already completed a coaskal skipper yachtmaster theory course within the past 5 years can resit their exam with the orignal provider of your course. You cannot go to a third party and just do the exam, as they have no record of your course completion. People who have certificates older than 5 years will need to redo the course.
  • The RYA certification process does not allow you to do a practice exam with us and then attempt to do an invigilated exam with another provider. The certification process includes verification of the comlete course and not just the exam. You will need to get your NAVatHOME Australia Exam invigilated.
  • If you would like us to help in organising invigilated exam, we are happy to do so and we will not make any additional charges for this service. However, at their discretion, the chosen RYA recognised Training Centre may wish to charge a fee to cover their instructor time. Face to Face Invigilation will have you complete the NAVatHOME Australia exam at their premises using the charts and almanac supplied as part of your course.
  • If you would like us to assist, we will require details of your preferred location for where the assessment may be completed. We do work with a number of face to face schools around the world so we are able to be flexible with options. Once we have confirmed a suitable centre , we will be able to put you in touch with each other to confirm a date and time of mutual convenience directly.

Copyright © All rights Reserved.
Navathome Australia is a family business based in Western Australia.
The School Principal is an RYA Yachtmaster instructor and has a Master Class 5 for power and sail.
The Punchlist Group Pty Ltd, ACN 647 832 997