The perfect course to introduce you to the basics of Safe Navigation practices and helming your own charter yacht in the Whitsundays, Asia, and the South Pacific.
Fundamental Navigation and Safety Training
(Introductory Navigation & Skipper)
The NAVatHOME Australia Fundamental Skipper Course is an introductory level course on the basics of navigation. It covers the fundamental skills to understand navigation and safety on the water and looks at skills that are more appropriate for small yachts, and motor cruisers.
It is similar to the RYA Essential Navigation course, however it id designed to consider Navitgation charts in Australia and New Zealand, and focusses on local weather patterns.
It is far more comprehensive than a Recreational Skippers Ticket and demonstrates greater skills and knowelege.
This course will start helping you with your navigation questions, and help you to consider the broader situation in an easy to follow and fun way.
It is great for new skippers, new crews, those who have just bought their first big boat or those wanting to hire one and the skills are suitable for both power and sail.
This course can be used as credit with a future Navathome Australia RYA Day Skipper Theory course.
$110 AUD inc. GST- Online e-learning Course
- No prior experience required
- Download all materials so that you can start straight away.
- Online Training Chart for the Whitsunday Islands
- Electronic Chart Plotter and VHF Radio Simulator.
- Upgrade to Day Skipper through Navathome
Do you know what these indicate?
Who is this course for?
Unique to our online introductory course is that it uses actual 2021 tidal data from Queensland in our syllabus, we give guidance on weather patterns specific to Australia based on the Australian Bureau of Meteorology reports.
Navigation training will be done using a training chart that is extracted from Australian Navigation chart AUS252 which covers the Whitsunday Islands.
You can go straight from our course to Airlie Beach and you will already feel like part are familiar to you.
- Skippers looking for familiarisation on Australian Navigation and Training Charts
- Anyone who wants to get a basic understanding of the Fundamental principles of Navigation and beign safe on the water.
- Those who have completed navigation training along time ago and want to brush up on skills.
- Those who are planning to charter a yacht.
- Those who want to understand why we integrate traditional and modern navigation techniques.
This is a complete entry level course and has no pre-requisite skills. .
What the course covers:
- General Seamanship
- Parts of the boat
- Marine Knots
- Anchoring Practices
The impact of Tidal movements are more than just the inward and outward flow of seawater
- Understanding the causes of tidal movements.
- Understanding why there can be dramatic differences in tidal behaviour in geographically similar locations.
- Compensating for tidal changes for anchoring and mooring.
- Recognising the different methods to find information about tidal movements.
- Predicting tidal height patterns in Australia
- Identification Of Tidal Streams and the Impact
- Triggers for different weather systems.
- Low Pressure Systems
- Localised Weather Effects
- Recognising Australian Weather Phenomena
- Australian Seabreezes
- Tropical Cyclones
- Southerly Buster
- Recognition and Identification
- Determination of purpose
- Lighting, shapes and colour schemes.
- IALA-A and IALA-B schemes.
- Identification on a chart and GPS plotter.
Did you know that any indication of fire on a vessel is regarded automatically by search and rescue as a mayday.
- Basic safety practices
- Safety Equipment
- Rules of the Road
- Vessel Identification Lights
- Your own ships lights
- Day Shapes
- Practical Right of way.
How is the course delivered
The course is provided using the world class NAVatHOME RYA accredited training program.
Support and Extras
Through out your course, you will be supported either by one of the NAVatHOME expert instructors, or by one of our supporting instructor at a partner school. Throughout the course, students will have full access to all NAVatHOME supporting resources and access to the international Navathome support network if you are planning an overseas trip.
- Collision Regulations
- Vessel Lights & Flip Cards
- VHF radio Simulator
This course is a great first step and automatically counts towards your future education with Navathome and Navathome Australia. As soon as you start, you are on your way to being safer and more competent on the water.
Graaduates of this course will be able to enroll in our Day Skipper course at a reduced rate.
Copyright © 2010-2022Navathome.com.au. All rights Reserved.
NAVatHOME Australia and NAVatHOME.com are a family run orgnaisaition offering online RYA courses for over 15 years.
The School Principal is an RYA Yachtmaster instructor and has a Master Class 5 for power and sail.
The Punchlist Group Pty Ltd, ACN 647 832 997
NAVatHOME Australia acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. We also acknowlege the First Nations people of New Zealand and the Pacific Islands and their ongoing connection to the land and sea.