Planning on going International?

Yep, we get it. One of the best things about owning a yacht is that you can cast off and make your own way overseas. You can charter a yacht, and spend a week cruising some of the most spectacular locations in the world. An awesome view awaits you as soon as you step outside, and your own swimming pool off the stern.

The classic image of a yacht at anchor in a secluded bay off a small island.

Imagine cruising the inland waterways of the UK and Europe, where you can just pull up at a canal side cafe and order a bottle of wine.

Sounds amazing doesn't it, but I am sure you realise that in most of these places they just wont let you charter a boat and go off alone. In many cases, if you don't have the right qualifications, you will have to take a skipper with you.While this can be great fun, it can also be intrusive if you hadn't planned on extra company.

International Certificate of Competency

The International Certificate of Competence (ICC) is a test of competence that provides the student with an internationally recognised qualification. The ICC, or higher certification, is required particularly in Europe, where governments are increasingly looking for recognised certificates to confirm the student reaches an internationally agreed level of competence. However, every nation does recognise the ICC as prior learning in their own jurisdiction.

The ICC is a practical assessment taken on the water, but does include a theory assessment. It does require knowledge of certain skills such as navigation and tidal managment, and safety. These are assessed during the on-water practical. We have a number of courses available that completely cover the ICC syllabus, however to be honest we recommend the RYA Day Skipper course. It is more comprehensive and a pathway if you ever want to consider the RYA Yachmaster qualification in the future.

If you complete the RYA Day Skipper theory and practical courses, the RYA will happily issue the ICC with no further assessment, and you will have the knowledge of knowing that you are far safe on the water with a far greater knowledge and understanding of what is going on.

The CEVNI Test

The CEVNI test is your certificate to navigate the inland waterways of Europe.